Pages

MY VIEWS ARE MY OWN AND NOT REFLECTIVE OF WHO I WORK FOR.

Friday 16 November 2012

Are people from the African diaspora learning African languages?


I've been asking myself this quite a lot. 

I've encountered a lot of black people expressing their interest in learning French, Spanish and even Chinese Mandarin.

This has made me think, are there black people out there, not from direct African descent, who are actively learning an African language?

I've read/heard the arguments for learning Portuguese or French and that a lot of Africans speak these languages. But do people really want to learn those languages just so that they can communicate with Africans from lets say Angola and Cameroon? Or are they just learning that because they want to live in France or they like the sound of Portuguese?

I actively encourage people to learn new languages, I do too and coming from a multilingual family I appreciate it when people are bilingual or even multilingual. But why is there no rush for learning African languages? Am I missing something or am I in the wrong place?

I know teaching material is very vital. Good quality teaching material and so is availability of resources. Schools usually don't encourage you to learn any languages besides English (for non-English countries), French, Spanish, maybe Chinese Mandarin and German. If you do go to an African centered school you'll have a much wider variety of languages that you can sample. 

But shouldn't we, as a people preserve our languages? Yes they may be your ancestor's languages but wouldn't you cause a disservice by not even bothering to preserve a possible language of your ancestor?
You may not know your direct lineage or where from Africa your ancestors are from, but at least expressing an interest in Swahili or another major African language is a step in the right direction. Do we always need to learn languages to expand our horizon? 

I encourage learning colonial languages such as French, German and Portuguese (largely spoken in Africa) but these are the 'oppressors' languages and these were used to take away our heritage and our history by suppressing our own languages.

I have taken it up on myself to actively learn my tribal language Dinka, and I will actively make learning material and compile good resources for people who are interested in learning this. I want to learn Lingala or perhaps Fulani.

So are you learning an African language? Are you interested in preserving African languages or do you feel that they are irrelevant to you?

1 comment:

  1. I would love to learn an African language. Preferably one from West Africa where my ancestors are from. Maybe, Hausa, Fulani, or Yoruba. Any of the languages spoken in modern-day Nigeria and the sorrounding area.

    ReplyDelete