Pages

MY VIEWS ARE MY OWN AND NOT REFLECTIVE OF WHO I WORK FOR.

Friday 7 December 2012

South Sudan: Freedom Of Speech Gets You Killed.

Diing Chan Awuol, a leading columnist and critic of South Sudan's government, was gunned down outside of his home in Juba.

I was honestly surprised... I really did not expect this to happen in South Sudan.

This is not because we are a 'democratic' country, but mostly because I believe the government really don't care whether people think they're corrupt or not.

I don't even blame myself for thinking that way because if you have a government job and you have this huge house in Juba and your unemployed kids in Australia drive SUVs and live in big condo's or villa's, then it's obvious you're taking part in corruption and you don't care to show that off either.

I criticise the Southern Sudanese government at any opportunity I am given. I honestly believe that it is our right to because we deserve way better than what we are given right now. We've had 20+ years of civil war, endless peace talks and finally our secession in the summer of 2011.

We deserve freedom of choice, freedom of speech, a transparent government and a lawful, peaceful country.

I have written extensively about South Sudan and I have also criticised the Southern Sudanese government for their corruption and Salva Kiir for his weak approach to solving it.

After everything we have endured, we deserve the right to demand better.

Mr Awuol was known for his 'strong' opinions, including wanting peace between the two Sudans. I assume that meant a reunion between North and South Sudan.

While I may not agree with that, it doesn't give me the urge me to pick up a gun and commit murder.

The expression: 'opinions are like assholes, everyone has one' springs to mind. When will some of us finally come to terms with the fact that everyone is different?

Awuol's death was senseless. His viewpoint wasn't Gospel. It wasn't going to be law. It wasn't going to be used as a solution to our problems. He was simply a columnist who wrote what he felt and thought. And while it may be difficult for a lot of us to accept that, there are going to be a lot more Awuol's out there who will probably express even more 'extremist' thoughts.

Why are we slowly resembling the country we actually seceded from?

There used to be a time when we had no voice (especially in pre-secession Sudan). We were killed and jailed for speaking out against the genocide that was taking place. We really yearned for freedom and democracy (something we sort of finally have right now). But why do so many of us think it's OK to limit this freedom and democracy only to favourable viewpoints?


Source

One of Awuol's relative told the Sudan Tribune: "I knew he would one day be assassinated for his writings and I told him to stop but he said he would prefer to die than to stop writing."

That is true journalistic spirit. It's unfortunate that a country which was democratically chosen to be the world's newest country, has to deal with issues challenging its democracy. I really hope there aren't any more persecutions of people who want to speak out about what they think South Sudan should be doing. I sincerely hope Mr Awuol gets the justice he deserves. Rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment